To start, I got my handy dandy helper #1

Then the ingredients

1 white cake mix (preferably Betty Crocker)
1 c sour cream
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1/3 c vegetable oil
Mix together

Heads up - it's a fairly thick batter

Then you'll need food coloring, the gel kind! You can usually find these at Walmart and for sure at Michaels (and boy do they have a good selection of colors there!)

Separate the batter into bowls and add the gel, coloring to your liking. I wanted the colors really bright. I should've made the orange, red and green a lot darker. And if using red, make sure to get the NO-TASTE RED!

And of course, Handy Dandy Helper #2 had to taste test

The tricky part is spooning the batter into the tins. You have to carefully smooth each layer out. I found a trick (of course AFTER I finished) but you dip your finger in water and spread the batter and it's supposed to make it easier. Anyhoo, the other tricky part was filling the tin to the right level. I think if I'd used about 1- 1 1/2 tsp of batter it would have been the right amount.
Bake according to the directions on the cake mix and voila Rainbow Cupcakes!

Top with your favorite icing and you're done! Aren't they cute? No photoshopping required! They really are that bright!


Next time I'd be sure to not fill the tin as full AND to put the dark colors on the bottom. I saw the pic from the website with the blue on the bottom and it looked MUCH cuter. I also think I'd just do Red, Yellow, Green and Blue - less to layer. But they were still cute and tasted so yummy!!!
11 comments:
Those look SOOOOOOOOOOO good!! Good job!! andee says we "have to make those.. they look soo good!!" and you have some CUTE helpers too! Miss you guys!!
Very very cute! I want to eat the last picture!!!!! mmmmmmmmmm....love the pictures to go along with the story!
love it, how did u get the blue on the white icing?
cue alysha, my sister in law made them for her daughters birthday, such a cute idea! I LOVE that website, try the tortellini soup, to die for!!! your family is so cute, and all your pics are phenomenal!!!
So cute! I love that you captured the entire process you nerd! I'm sad i didn't get to eat them!
suuuuuper cute!!! I love that site too!
You did a great job! I actually saw a cake version of this. Except it was a 7 layer cake and each layer was a differnt color. The cupcakes look easy compared to the cake...lol. I love your blue tinge on the top of your icing.
Those are so fun! I wish I had seen this earlier - Whitney had a mildly "rainbow" theme birthday (the only thing that was rainbow was the pinata and the balloons), but these would have been perfect!! I am going to have to try them out anyways.
they look so yummy!
Those look soooo good, do you have any left over?!!!
So awesome!!!
Post a Comment